assembling probable insights crowdsourcing calibrated estimations composing critical insights assembling calibrated wisdom delivering calibrated futures mapping the future computing intelligent predictions computing predictive understanding delivering definitive forecasts formulating intelligent forecasts computing calibrated futures formulating contingent understanding forecasting calibrated estimations forecasting critical insights

Question

Metaculus Help: Spread the word

If you like Metaculus, tell your friends! Share this question via Facebook, Twitter, or Reddit.

Will growth in the number of AI startups be faster in China versus USA in 2019-2020?

The AI Index has gathered data about the landscape of AI startup funding in the US (see the 2018 report, page. 31). Roughly 800 AI startups received their first venture-backing in 2017, compared to roughly 150 in 2012, when the modern deep learning revolution started.

Moreover, we see that the growth rate of US AI startups seems to have been increasing since 2009, and outpacing the cumulative growth rate of all startups, which seems roughly constant in the same period. Still, in 2017, only about 6% of all new US startups were AI startups.

We now ask how this trend will compare against the same trend in China:

Will growth in the number of AI startups be faster in China versus USA in 2019-2020?


Resolution

  • The growth in 2019-2020 will be defined as the number of active startups January 1st 2020 divided by the number of active startups January 1st 2019.

Details about what startups were included in the count can be found on page 80 of the 2018 AI Index report. Note in particular the following helpful clarifications:

  • [In the database queried] companies are removed from the database once they go public, get acquired, or get shut down, however, the funding rounds prior to the company’s removal remain in the database.
  • Both Crunchbase and VentureSource have difficulty discerning AI companies that develop AI systems vs those that only deploy them. Internally, we called these AI “Makers” vs “Users”. We tested a random sample of 109 of the matched companies (this is 10% of the entire set of VentureSource matches) and found that 68 of them (or 62%) were AI “Makers”. The remaining 38% of companies in our sample, while still considered AI companies, likely did not develop the AI systems themselves.
  • Our list of AI categories in Crunchbase currently favor machine learning technologies

Data

Unfortunately the AI Index are unable to provide the underlying data for this question, but the graphs in the paper can be eyeballed.

{{qctrl.predictionString()}}

Metaculus help: Predicting

Predictions are the heart of Metaculus. Predicting is how you contribute to the wisdom of the crowd, and how you earn points and build up your personal Metaculus track record.

The basics of predicting are very simple: move the slider to best match the likelihood of the outcome, and click predict. You can predict as often as you want, and you're encouraged to change your mind when new information becomes available.

The displayed score is split into current points and total points. Current points show how much your prediction is worth now, whereas total points show the combined worth of all of your predictions over the lifetime of the question. The scoring details are available on the FAQ.

Note: this question resolved before its original close time. All of your predictions came after the resolution, so you did not gain (or lose) any points for it.

Note: this question resolved before its original close time. You earned points up until the question resolution, but not afterwards.

This question is not yet open for predictions.

Thanks for predicting!

Your prediction has been recorded anonymously.

Want to track your predictions, earn points, and hone your forecasting skills? Create an account today!

Track your predictions
Continue exploring the site

Community Stats

Metaculus help: Community Stats

Use the community stats to get a better sense of the community consensus (or lack thereof) for this question. Sometimes people have wildly different ideas about the likely outcomes, and sometimes people are in close agreement. There are even times when the community seems very certain of uncertainty, like when everyone agrees that event is only 50% likely to happen.

When you make a prediction, check the community stats to see where you land. If your prediction is an outlier, might there be something you're overlooking that others have seen? Or do you have special insight that others are lacking? Either way, it might be a good idea to join the discussion in the comments.